Plastic ziplock bags are undeniably useful. The snack sized plastic bags are lightweight, fit anywhere, seal perfectly and never fail. Ziplocks are good for holding snacks, lunches or storing all kinds of small non-food objects like marbles, paper clips or nails. Anything imaginable can be stored in a plastic ziplock however one of their primary sues is a zipper bag for food. BUT plastic ziplocks have a major downside!
Ziplock Bags Are Made of Plastic
How Hidden Toxins are Sabotaging Your Health
Facts about BPA
- BPA in certain uses is banned in countries like Europe, Canada.
- BPA is known hormone disruptor. It can cause harm by reprogramming cells, or altering gene function.
- According to the National Toxicology Program BPA can have an effect on the brain and behavior.
- Another estrogen mimicking chemical BPS (a BPA alternative) is now showing up in urine tests.
- According to EWG the science of endocrine disruption has become a political issue similar to the previous fight over the health hazards of tobacco.
This post may contain affiliate links, you can read my affiliate disclosure here.
Benefits of Reusable Snack Bags
Reusable bags are
- Saves money in the long run
- Stylish and Cute
They can be used for
- Taking Snacks to Work.
- Sending snacks to School.
- Cheerios or other snacks for car trips.
Popular Reusable Cloth Snack Bags
- These are what we use and they work great.
- They are fairly thick and durable while still being flexible.
- They come in different colors.
- Mostly we use these for the kids snacks.
- These are made from food safe fabric.
- Easy to use zipper.
- It is fairly thick and durable while still being flexible.
- They come in fun colors.
- Kids love to take these for lunch and they are fairly easy to clean.
Popular Silicone Ziplock Alternatives
- Stasher is a very popular brand.
- There are a variety of different colors and sizes.
- They are see through like ziplocks.
- Airtight – If you are looking for airtight containers silicone is a good option.
- Stasher Reusable Silicone Food bags are a bit on the expensive side.
- Zippered bags provide a more ziplock feel.
- The material is thick and durable.
- They are freezer safe.
- These are more budget friendly.
- Smaller snack sized
- Highly rated on Amazon
- Under $10!
Popular Reusable Food Wraps
Etee Wraps form a protective, breathable, antimicrobial seal that lets food breathe so it can stay fresher, longer.
- Made from organic cotton and beeswax.
- Sustainable and reusable.
- The downside is that they won’t last forever, each sheet is good for a limited amount of uses.
- Made from organic cotton and beeswax.
- Comes in different sizes and colors.
- These last a lot longer than one time use ziplocks.
- Use them to wrap cheese, fruit, vegetables, or bread.
Though I haven’t gotten to it one of the items on my never-ending to do list is to make my own reusable snack bags. It is always a good idea to weigh the benefit of time vs money, but this is great alternative to buying reusable snack bags.
- Go to Google or pinterest and search for tutorials.
- You can create any color or size. Imagine of all the exciting possibilities!
- Customized reusable ziplock bags would also make an amazing gifts!
- Be sure to source food grade non-toxic material
FAQs About Ziploc Bags and Toxins
Do Ziploc bags have phthalates?
Ziploc has stated that their bags are dioxin and phthalates free. Phthalates are chemicals often used to make plastics more flexible, but due to health concerns, many food storage product manufacturers have chosen to eliminate them from their products.
Do Ziploc contain PFAS?
According to information provided by Ziploc, their bags do not contain PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances). PFAS also known as “forever chemicals” is a group of man-made chemicals that are used for their non-stick and water-repellent properties.
What is the safest container to store food in?
The safest food storage containers are those that are made from materials known to be free of harmful chemicals. Glass containers, like Pyrex, stainless steel, silicone, and certified BPA-free plastics are considered safe options. Look for products that are also free of phthalates and PVC to ensure the highest safety standards.
Are Ziploc bags safe to boil food in?
Ziploc bags are designed to withstand a significant amount of heat, but it’s important to use them according to the manufacturer’s instructions. For boiling food, Ziploc recommends using their Ziploc Zip ‘N Steam Bags, which are specifically designed for steam cooking. Regular Ziploc bags may not be suitable for boiling as they could melt or break down at high temperatures, potentially causing chemicals to leach into the food.
Still don’t want to give up Ziplock bags? I don’t blame you. I would be totally lost without a trusty Ziplock bag. However with all of the options, it was time for me to ditch the toxic plastic and find an alternative.
In fact there are so many reusable snack bags to choose from you could go crazy trying to pick the perfect color and style. The ultimate goal is to be have something reusable that you love and like to use.
Switching to reusable snack bags may seem weird at first, but make a routine or habit out of it and it will come second nature. YES it is easy, go and pick the one that is calling your name.
Have you tried any of these alternatives to plastic ziplocks? Let us know in the comments