Plastic ziplock bags are undeniably useful. The snack sized plastic bags are lightweight, fit anywhere, seal perfectly and never fail. Ziplocks are good for holding snacks, lunches or storing all kinds of small non-food objects like marbles, paper clips or nails. Anything imaginable can be stored in a plastic ziplock bag. But plastic ziplocks have a major downside!
Ziplock Bags Are Made of Plastic
Most plastics contain BPA or other hormone disrupting chemicals. These chemicals leach into food and can cause health issues with long term exposure. The use of BPA and BPA alternatives is complicated. We may not now for sure what is going on with BPA because of conflicting information. However we can be cautious and use what we know is safe!
Why I’m Not Using Plastic Containers for Food
Facts about BPA
- BPA in certain uses is banned in countries like Europe, Canada.
- BPA is known hormone disruptor. It can cause harm by reprogramming cells, or altering gene function.
- According to the National Toxicology Program BPA can have an effect on the brain and behavior.
- Another estrogen mimicking chemical BPS (a BPA alternative) is now showing up in urine tests.
- According to EWG the science of endocrine disruption has become a political issue similar to the previous fight over the health hazards of tobacco.
6 Compelling Reasons to Ditch Canned Foods & BPA
This post may contain affiliate links, you can read my affiliate disclosure here.
Benefits of Reusable Snack Bags
Reusable bags are
- Saves money in the long run
- Stylish and Cute
They can be used for
- Taking Snacks to Work.
- Sending snacks to School.
- Cheerios or other snacks for car trips.
- They do have to be cleaned. Some are dishwasher safe, but it’s still effort.
- Depending on the type of bag you get it may not be leak proof or air tight
- Takes some getting used to when the habit is to just throw away a regular ziplocks.
How Hidden Toxins are Sabotaging Your Health
Popular Reusable Cloth Snack Bags
Lunchskins Reusable Sandwich Bags
- These are what we use and they work great.
- They are fairly thick and durable while still being flexible.
- They come in different colors.
- Mostly we use these for the kids snacks.
Reusable Snack & Sandwich Bags
- These are made from food safe fabric.
- Easy to use zipper.
- It is fairly thick and durable while still being flexible.
- They come in fun colors.
- Kids love to take these for lunch and they are fairly easy to clean.
Popular Silicone Ziplock Alternatives
- Stasher is a very popular brand.
- There are a variety of different colors and sizes.
- They are see through like ziplocks.
- Airtight – If you are looking for airtight containers silicone is a good option.
- Stasher Reusable Silicone Food bags are a bit on the expensive side.
5 Pack Leakproof Ziplock Sandwich Bags
- Zippered bags provide a more ziplock feel.
- The material is thick and durable.
- They are freezer safe.
- These are more budget friendly.